Ergonomics is the mechanics of moving through your daily life with proper posture habits to avoid pain and injury. In addition to pain relief treatment, San Diego chiropractor Dr. Herfindahl helps patients learn how to rearrange their computer work stations, the seats in their cars and even their pillows to provide the best possible posture for whole-body wellness. Chiropractic care is essential for pain and injury relief-ergonomics are just as important!
Modern Technology, Chiropractic Care, Ergonomics and Pain Relief
Chiropractor Dr. Herfindahl has seen a rise in cases of neck pain, back pain, headaches and carpal tunnel syndrome, etc. related to poor posture when using new technology. Fortunately, you can rearrange your work station, use your mobile devices and perform other daily tasks-for pain relief! If you live in the San Diego area, Dr. Herfindahl can discuss a personalized ergonomics plan that fits your daily life. The following general ergonomics tips can help you get started:
Computer Work Stations
- Adjust your chair so your hips and knees are level; get a footrest if you need it, and add a lumbar support pad if necessary.
- Arrange your keyboard so your elbows remain at a 90-degree angle. Get a “split keyboard” to fit your wrists’ natural posture while typing if possible.
- Your monitor should be at arm’s length and positioned so that you can look straight ahead without craning your neck.
Un-ergonomic mobile device use can strain your neck, eyes, wrists, hands, shoulders, arms and back. Strive for proper posture with your mobile technology:
- Use a Bluetooth device to avoid long-term neck craning on either side.
- Try voice recognition if you need to send a lengthy text or email from your device, or use the computer for long emails..
- Raise your phone up to eye level when texting or viewing to avoid bending your head forward too much.
- Never use your cell phone while driving, biking or walking to avoid injury! Pull over (or wait until you can) before answering or texting from a safe, stopped position.
Chiropractic Care and Ergonomics Team up for Pain Relief
If you already experience pain related to your daily work and living habits, schedule an appointment with our chiropractor today at 619-295-3885 to get corrective and/or preventative maintenance chiropractic care and a personalized ergonomics plan designed to help you overcome pain and work more efficiently.