Sciatica Pain Relief Chiropractor in San Diego CA
Sciatica Pain Relief Treatment with our San Diego Chiropractor
Sciatica is a symptom that something is irritating your sciatic nerve, which controls the movement and sensation down your lower back, into your posterior, legs and feet. It may present as a dull ache to a sharp, shocking pain radiating down this pathway. Successful treatment for these symptoms depends on uncovering the reason for the nerve irritation. San Diego chiropractor Dr. Herfindahl has great success providing sciatica relief with a combination of non-invasive, drug-free chiropractic care and physiotherapy treatments.
Causes of Sciatica
- Subluxations (misalignments of the vertebrae) – Vertebrae can slowly devolve out of alignment from chronic poor posture or they might be jostled by a sudden car accident injury, sports injury or work injury, causing a pinched sciatic nerve.
- Bulging discs or herniated discs – A sudden injury, several years of poor posture or incorrect ergonomics while working and exercising can stress the intervertebral discs that provide cushioning between the vertebrae and the nerves. This stress can make them bulge or crack open, allowing the jelly-like nucleus to extrude and press on the sciatic nerve.
- Piriformis syndrome – The piriformis muscle sits right over the sciatic nerve; spasms in this muscle can irritate the sciatic nerve.
- Spinal Stenosis – This is a narrowing of the conduit in the vertebrae through which the nerves travel, causing them to get pinched.
Chiropractic Care for Sciatica Pain Relief
- Chiropractic Care – Using gentle, precise hands-on or instrument spinal adjustments, Herfindahl Chiropractic can realign vertebrae back into correct position to relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve, which can provide welcome relief.
- Spinal decompression – This highly-targeted form of spinal traction gently stretches and releases damaged discs to rehydrate, nourish and reshape them so that they stop pinching nerves. Treatment is very comfortable and non-invasive, and decompression can often be a viable alternative to surgery.
- Massage and Physiotherapy – A variety of these therapies relax and heal injured and spasm-prone muscles to provide relief.