Bulging Disc Pain Relief Treatment in San Diego
The discs between each vertebra in the spine perform critical functions:
- They enable spinal flexibility so you can bend in all directions.
- They provide shock-absorption between the vertebrae.
- They allow nerves to travel from the spinal cord out to the rest of your body.
In a bulging or protruding disc, the tough outer covering (which is filled with a jelly-like substance) bulges past its normal boundaries. You may have bulged discs and not even know it until they pinch nerves and cause pain. Fortunately, San Diego chiropractor Dr. Herfindahl’s treatment can provide lasting relief.
San Diego Chiropractor Explains Protruding and Bulging Discs
The three most common causes of bulging discs are:
- Poor posture habits—Chronic slouching pulls vertebrae out of proper alignment, which stresses the discs, causing them to bulge or protrude.
- Incorrect ergonomics—Lifting heavy objects improperly, having your desk set up the wrong way, or exercising with incorrect form can also cause vertebral misalignments (subluxations) that lead to bulging discs.
- Injuries—Falling, car accidents, sports injuries and the like can all cause disc trouble, pinched nerves and pain.
Because bulging discs do not always manifest with pain initially, it is important to have a regular checkup with our chiropractor because chiropractic treatment can prevent the condition from worsening. If left untreated, a bulge can become a herniated disc, which can be far more painful. If you are already experiencing symptoms of back pain, neck pain or radiating pain down into the legs or arms (depending on the location of the injured disc), Dr. Herfindahl can successfully offer several non-surgical, drug-free relief options:
- Chiropractic spinal adjustments—Our chiropractor is highly skilled at gentle, precise hands-on and instrument adjusting techniques that correct spinal alignment and remove pressure from discs and nerves.
- Spinal Decompression—This revolutionary treatment uses very location-specific stretching and traction forces to gently reshape bulging discs, helping them rehydrate, heal and release pinched nerves for welcome relief.
- Physical Therapy—Many patients also benefit from therapeutic exercises that bolster core strength, retrain weakened muscles and improve flexibility and posture.
Dr. Herfindahl may also recommend other treatment options such as massage therapy, cold laser therapy and nutritional counseling, depending on your individual needs. Pain from bulging discs responds exceptionally well to our individually-tailored approach to healing so you can resume an active, pain-free lifestyle. Reach out to us today at 619-295-3885 in San Diego to Schedule an Appointment.